Vegan comfort food at its richest! Savory oven-roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts tossed with kale, dried cranberries, toasted pepitas and HARMONY Snacking Cacao beans.
Many thanks to dear friend Evita Twerdahl for this incredibly tasty and healthy 100% plant-based recipe.
|Total: 45 min
Active: 25 min
|Yield: 8 servings|
- 1/2 large Butternut Squash, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 4 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Shallot, finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 bunch of Kale, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) strips
- 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Harmony Snacking Cacao (~one 30g Single Serve)
- 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
- Salt and Pepper as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the Butternut Squash with 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper in a large bowl, stirring gently to coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Combine Brussels Sprouts with 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper in a large bowl, stirring gently to coat. Spread in another single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake the Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts in the oven at 375°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Toast the Pumpkin Seeds in a toaster oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Make Salad Dressing: Add Shallot, Dijon, 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar and Salt to jam jar. Close lid tightly and shake.
- Pour half of the Salad Dressing on Kale, massaging it with your hands to soften it.
- Transfer the Kale to a large serving dish; add the Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts.
- When serving, garnish with the Dried Cranberries, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds, Snacking Cacao and remaining Salad Dressing.
I don't think I've ever tried a meal Evita has made and not loved it. But this is definitely one of my favorites! A few notes -
- Hold the Garnish: Toasted Pepitas, Snacking Cacao and Dried Cranberries will all maintain a better texture if you top the salad immediately before serving.
- Leftovers: This salad is perfect for leftovers and can be eaten warm or cold. Store for up to three days in the refrigerator after it is assembled.
- Kale: If you don’t love Kale, you can easily substitute other greens like raw Spinach or Baby Greens. If you do, skip the massage and simply toss with the Salad Dressing.
- Red Wine Vinegar: I enjoy substituting Balsamic Vinegar for the Red Wine Vinegar in this salad dressing for a richer, sweeter flavor – especially on the roasted vegetables.
Food for Thought:
Make it a meal. This 100% plant-based salad is a nutrient dense, low-calorie dish full of calcium, iron and potassium, not to mention ample protein and fiber! For a center-of-the-plate salad, simply double the serving size.
We love the great taste and incredible nutrition packed into this salad!