Chewy, crunchy…and a bit boozy! It’s a sweet, warmly spiced, punchy mouthful - really good for evening parties and after dinner.
Many thanks to Anika Wallace for this festive and indulgent 100% plant-based recipe.
|Total: 1 hour
Active: 5 min
|Yield: 5 servings|
- 5 additive-free dried apricots*
- 1/4 Cup Bourbon**
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Coconut
- 3 Tablespoons Almond Slivers, freshly toasted
- 20 Love Snacking Cacao Beans
- Submerge your dried apricots in Bourbon to soak.
- Meanwhile, toast your almond slivers.
- Remove the apricots after about 1 hour of soaking, or when the apricots have absorbed as much Bourbon as you would like them to.
- Peel or slice each apricot in half, setting the halves on a plate for garnishing.
- Sprinkle each half generously with shredded coconut and a few toasted almond slivers.
- Top each half with two whole beans.
Each half was two bites-worth for their size and strength of flavor.
- Get Creative with Ingredients: Substitutes are easy. The key is to minimize the sweetness of your toppings because the soaked apricots are quite sweet.
- Shredded Coconut: adds a different kind of chewy texture, but a pat of coconut butter on top also adds a great flavor but brings a different texture. Unsweetened toasted coconut chips are also great, with a similar texture to the toasted almond slivers.
- Love Snacking Cacao: offers the best flavor compliment, but Joy offers something interesting when the apricots are soaked in a peaty Scotch.
Food for Thought:
*Dried apricots with additives such as preservatives or sugar have a completely different flavor and texture than the plain, all natural ones. Go for those brown, natural ones in this recipe (and as often as possible)!
**Don’t discard the Bourbon after soaking. It will have a nice apricot flavor and will be a bit syrupy, perfect for a cocktail, spiked hot chocolate, or over ice cream.
We gravitate toward this for pure enjoyment. Though, it's guilt-free as desserts go! 😉