You just can’t beat the flavors of orange, cacao, honey, and spices with creamy ricotta. Make a lovely bowl of this to welcome in spring and summer on the patio.
This simple dessert is elegant enough to honor dinner guests and easy enough for anyone to make in a jiffy.
|Total: 10 minutes||Yield: 1 serving|
- 10 Strength Snacking Cacao Bean
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta (4.5 oz.)
- 1 firm but juicy orange (small, ~2.5" diameter)
- 2 Tbsp thin slices of ginger in syrup
- 1 Tbsp almond slivers
- 1 Tbsp honey (to taste)
- Find your favorite bowl - not too big, not too small.
- Roughly crush 5 cacao beans.
- Whip up your 1/2 cup ricotta with a fork and stir in the crushed cacao.
- Toast your almond slivers over the stove while you slice the peel and pith off your orange.
- Slice the peeled orange into slivers and set aside.
- If you’re using larger ginger pieces in syrup as I did, slice them into very thin slivers.
- To assemble everything, arrange one big rounded scoop of the ricotta mixture into your bowl.
- Arrange 3-5 orange slivers with it.
- Sprinkle your ginger on top, then your toasted almonds slivers.
- Top your creation with 5 more whole beans then drizzle honey over the top.
- Orange: I used a blood orange because it’s what I had on hand and it looks pretty. Blood oranges are smaller, so the volume was comparable to the ricotta. Scale back from using the whole orange if using a larger variety.
- Ginger: you can easily substitute candied ginger pieces, roughly chopped.
- Honey: My absolute favorite honey for this recipe is chestnut honey, but it can be difficult to find. It is a very aromatic honey, so perhaps the more aromatic the better.
This is a generous portion for a single dessert; comparable to a generous helping of ice cream. Though we'd argue it's healthier and far more interesting!